Skip to main content

Repair my Macbook Unibody (late 2009) 60W Magsafe charger

From October 2009, till now, I have fixed (maybe some of it cannot be called real repair) my Macbook countless of times on my own. These includes replace the screen due to the cracked, changing/repalced my hard drive many times, replace and also upgrade memory RAM, and most of it are the Magsafe charger.


I am not sure why, but, my magsafe always have thermal dissipation problem and generate heat more than it should when in use. Magnetic connector that attached to the Macbook  get warmer/hotter when I am charging for hours during the longer usage. Even, the magsafe converter (big white square thing) sometimes getting hot too.

magnetic connector separated from supply cable due to excessive heat.

magnetic connector and pins separated from cable

by remove two lock pins,  plastic that hold supply pins can be detached

supply pins plastic holder detached from magnetic connector.

circuit for magsafe dc supply


insert pin into plastic holder and solder it.

using clamper is easier to solder



TESTED WORKING
you can verify the charger by charging your mac

repaired charger are verified and working.


NOW, NEED TO REDO THE OUTER COSMETIC TO MAKE SURE ITS DOES NOT BROKE AGAIN.

insert sumi tube

use plyer to tighting the connector cover into the magnetic 

attach the sumi tube to the cover

heating up the sumi tube to shrink the rubber tube

tada...final result!!!
So, instead of throwing broken charger into the bins, I think, why not we try to fix it. If its work, we will save money and also saving the earth by recycling the product. Cheers

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to replace broken hard disk of WD my book world edition (white light)

Several weeks ago, when cleaning the house, I am accidentally drop my WD MyBook world when trying to rearrange its location in the house. This ending up damaging the hard disk causing me a lot of data lost. Luckily, some of the necessary data already been backing up on another NAS (Synology 2-Bay drive).

WD MyBook world that contained broken hard disk

Disassembly of WD MyBook wold NAS to replace broken hard disk

photo of Synology NAS drive
There is a lot of solutions on the internet how to reinstall fresh system on the new HDD on the WD MyBook world. One of it is from Polish guy from the website iknowsomething.com (thanks to him). It was my main reference when doing my firmware installation. However, I find a lot of difficulties, to get everything done firstly, with the hard disk wipe-out and secondly with the mdadm packaging not available in the Ubuntu package

To make it easy, here I listed the procedure I followed till I managed to make my WD MyBook world back to working again;

1)purchase…

KENWOOD PROSPERO KM280 NOT WORKING..WHY?

Hi, Peace upon you all..

This afternoon, my wife food processor kenwood km280 suddenly dead..she planned to prepare Dorayaki for us all, to eat in the evening.

Unfortunately, after pours mix all the ingredient into the bowl, switch On the main plug and adjust switch knob to no 1 speed, nothing happen. After many tried, after referred to the manual that comes with this food processor (KM280), she gives up and ask me to do something about it.

First step to troubleshoot the problem is to check the power from the main plug and also the fuse. The outcomes are all well and working fine.

Second, check the internal connection and gearing, visually. the reason are to make sure no visible damage to the cable and gearing. This will require disassembly of top cover.Its can be done by removing six screws under.

after top cover are removed, internal circuits, motor and gears (figure below) can be observe for any damage. Fortunately, there nothing obvious to the gearing and motor (refer to fig 2, fi…

I am replacing my Nokia N9 USB connector

For the past 3-4 months, whenever I am home, my 6 years old son always try to quitely borrowed my N9 to play the game in it and also watching video. Even so, as the battery drying out, he will recharge n9 himself by pushing the usb cable into the Nokia N9 USB socket. However, as he is still only 6 years old, that usually ending up slowly breaking and damaging my N9 USB connector bit by bit. In the end, thing that I’m worried happened.I am not able to charging my anymore. Even worse, I am not able toconnect my phone to mycomputer for the purposed of copy and backing up the data.

I ending up using feature phone nokia 101 for several weeks as my replacement phone…the good thing is that, I don’t need to charge my phone everyday like I did with my N9, which is very good. With nokia 101, it take me 5-6 days before the next charge.

Back to the nokia N9, to ask NOKIA to repair my N9, it will probably cost me a fortune. So, I decide, let try to do it myself. Googling myself on the internet,I man…