Skip to main content

NOKIA N9: REPLACING USB CONNECTOR



For the past 3-4 months, whenever I am home, my 6 years old son always try to quitely borrowed my N9 to play the game in it and also watching video. Even so, as the battery drying out, he will recharge n9 himself by pushing the usb cable into the Nokia N9 USB socket.
However, as he is still only 6 years old, that usually ending up slowly breaking and damaging my N9 USB connector bit by bit. In the end, thing that I’m worried happened.  I am not able to charging my anymore. Even worse, I am not able to  connect my phone to my  computer for the purposed of copy and backing up the data.


I ending up using feature phone nokia 101 for several weeks as my replacement phone…the good thing is that, I don’t need to charge my phone everyday like I did with my N9, which is very good. With nokia 101, it take me 5-6 days before the next charge.


Back to the nokia N9, to ask NOKIA to repair my N9, it will probably cost me a fortune. So, I decide, let try to do it myself. Googling myself on the internet,  I managed to find the cheap part of USB connector for nokia N9 which cost me £3.




figure: picture of usb connector


Other important thing is to know how to diassemble the phone properly and not to damage it. So, again, I used internet such youtube and google to search. It is very important not to damage the phone during disassemble process as very little mistake could cost me the phone.


Therefore, below are step-by-step process I did to replace my usb connector. And it is quite adventurous. (unfortunately, during the process of desoldering and soldering, I not able to snap the pictures as there is no camera available at that time).


1)firstly, I disassembled the phone to separate the motherboard from its body carefully by using proper tools.


I use below link to download the pdf file of disassemble procedure, and the procedure provided by the pdf manual below is quite good and helpful.





figure: pictures of after disassembled
once everything is separated, the process to remove and replace new connector can be started.


2) Secondly, metal bar covering the usb socket on the motherboard need to be remove. Here is what I did, I heating up the solder on one side, and used thin metal knife to jack the metal cover gently. Once one side is lifted, I heating up the second one and successfully separating the metal cover from the usb socket




figure: the picture of metal cover with usb connector and how to remove metal cover


3) Then, the process to remove the usb socket can be start. This is the trickiest part where, I am taking about 1.5 hours just to remove and replace the new part. After old broken part is removed, the board is cleaned using flux removal especially on the area of desoldering, on top of usb socket thread. After that, the new usb socket part can be mounted for resolder.





figure: removing the usb connector


4) Multimeter is also required to verify the connectivity/continuity after soldering. Once everything is properly connected, the parts can be assembled again using the procedure provided previously. And once all done, nokia N9 is switched ON and lucky for me that everything are working properly. I tested the calling speaker function, wireless, charging and data transfer using usb. all working fined now.
Figure: after replace usb connector

Now, my Nokia N9 is back to work again. However, I am losing interest of using it any more after several weeks of using nokia 101. So, at the moment, I will remained using nokia 101 as for me, it very lite, and required less charging interval (5-6 days per charge). And for Nokia n9, I only use it when I wanted to use navigator for navigation to unfamiliar place.

#apologised for English as I am beginner in English. However, I like to learn English and want to improved and anyone who spot the mistake, please teach/explain me what is the correct one and why it is wrong. Thanks a lot

Comments

  1. Hi Brian,
    thanks alot for this helpful article. I have a few queries. Is it possible to replace the USB port with a heat gun and flux.
    Also, I could not understand why you had to cut the charging socket with a cutter, would that also get removed when you desolder the port?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi UnitedRoad, its been ages since my last writing..sorry. I am not sure whether its possible or not. But, I think using sucker gun is the easiest way to remove the usb connector. The reason why I have to cut the metal piece that cover usb connector is because its holding the connector with separate solder. SO, I have to remove it first before I am able to lift the usb connector..hope this help

      Delete
  2. That's some work you did! Although fixing a cellphone by yourself is discouraged, perhaps replacing the USB connector might be the "red line", and anything beyond that has to be fixed by someone else. You never know what thing we inadvertently changed while fixing the connector, so it's better to be safe than sorry on this regard.
    Mary Hagopian @ TelcoWorld.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TQ Mary..yes, It is very difficult and quite tricky, I must say..but, since I purchased my N9 outside UK, I cannot get it repaired in the UK under my warranty..:)

      Delete
  3. Hello !
    Nice to hear someone had the same problem I'm having... ...and solved!
    Could you share the link where you purchased it, or a reference for this piece of HW? Also, the link you shared on dropbox is already gone...

    Thanks !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tq dmarques..I think you can search for the nokia N9 usb connector on ebay UK...about the missing links..here I attached the original link..

      for service manual
      http://mynokiablog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Nokia_N9_RM-696_Service_Manual_L1L2_v1.0.pdf


      and schematic
      http://www.smdcode.com/media/service-manuals/mobile-phones/nokia/nokia-n9-rm-696-service-schematics-v1.pdf

      Delete
  4. It's certainly possible to remove the USB connector with a heat gun, (I have done this on Samsung phones), but it requires a professional level of skill. This is a much better approach for the average diy person. I also suspect it would be very difficult to avoid melting the little speaker next to the connector on this phone, so even for professionals this is a better approach for this model

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

HONDA RS150 TPS: RPM TAK STABIL BILA NOT ON THROTTLE DAN PENYELESAIANNYA

Assalamualaikum dan salam sejahtera Isu TPS ni berlaku pada tahun lepas, Ogos 2020 (milage dalam 24000km, baru dua tahun pakai) sewaktu saya on the way ke KL Masa tu tunggang motor full throttle yang menyebabkan RPM nya selalu mencecah ke CUT-OFF (utk makluman, honda RS150 saya ni tak guna ECU custom, masih guna yang standard). Jadi saya perasan, bila selalu tunggang pada RPM yang sampai CUTT-OFF, ini menyebabkan kesan tak baik pada TPS..jadi utk yang belum jadi problem TPS ni..boleh la cepat ganti ECU ke ECU yang tanpa cutoff. APA TU TPS? TPS bermaksud Throttle positioning sensor..bahasa mudahnya alat ni bertujuan untuk mengesan kedudukan throttle body valve dimana udara masuk ke enjin untuk pembakaran. Dengan itu, baru la ECU tahu berapa banyak bahan bakar yang perlu utk pembakaran berdasarkan bukaan valve tu.  Bila TPS dah problem, TPS akan memberi maklumat yang salah pada ECU berkenaan besar mana valve tu buka, jadi nisbah bahan api dan udara jadi tak betul la. maka, tu yang jadi s

HONDA RS150 IACV: IACV PROBLEM? RPM NAIK TINGGI BILA HIDUPKAN ENJIN?

 Hi semua, Salam sejahtera Masalah IACV saya berlaku selepas isu TPS wujud di milage 24000+km..kemungkinan kedua2nya ini saling berkait. Masalah IACV hadir ketika saya on the way balik semula ke Johor, ketika bahan bakar berkurang dari tangki moto. SIMPTOM  ? bila hidupkan enjin honda RS150 saya, RPM akan naik tinggi dan kadang2 sukar dikawal. tengah jalan pun, jika stop di trafik light, rpm akan naik tinggi dan mengaum bising..so, isu ni biasanya disebabkan IACV IACV APA TU IACV? IACV bermaksud Idle Air Control Valve. bahasa mudahnya nak control udara masuk ke ruang pembakaran sewaktu motosikal kita idle (tanpa pulas pendikit atau throttle) iaitu semasa tak bergerak. FUngsi dia mcm choke la pada motor lama yg guna karburator supaya moto mudah di hidupkan dan dalam masa sama injap dikawal dan dikecilkan bila enjin motosikal telah panas. IACV idling control valve (anak panah, lubang udara yang dikawal) APA FUNGSI IACV? Jika kita dah pulas throttle, IACV dah tak digunakan dan valve udara

HONDA RS150: MAINTENANCE SCHEDULES & MOST COMMON SERVICE WORK

Hi all, this is based on the guide book supplied with your motorcycle when you purchased your motorcycle. With this guide table, hopefully, easy for all, planning their motorcycle service. for me, its really useful since I'm doing my RS150 maintenance myself. The list below shows the most common maintenance schedule and what I did for my RS150 (already 22000+km after almost 9 months): Engine oil change, Petronas Sprinta F700: replace every 1600km Oil strainer: clean every 12000km Spark plug: replace every 12000km (can replace with a high-performance spark plug to reduce maintenance frequency) Fuel filter: replace every 18000km Coolant fluid: replace every 12000km following oil strainer clean work Below are is the maintenance schedule from the guide book. Hope this sharing help